Prosperity Beans – recipe
Ok, here’s my recipe for Prosperity Beans. My kids loved it, the dog loved it, and even the picky 11 yo who spent the night and HATES greens thought this stuff was the yum.
This is supposed to bring Good Luck and draw money towards you for the new year. The kids love the tradition and devour the food LOL!
You will need:
- Small bag of Black Eyed Peas
- 2 Quarts of Water
- Bag of greens, dices, sliced, however you want them (huge leaves, not such a great idea)
- 1 small red onion – diced
- salt and pepper to tastes
- 4 smoked hamhocks
- 3 packets of ham flavouring (or ham boullion cubes) I got the ham flavor packets in the Mexican food section
- 1 tsp Sage
- 1 TB diced garlic (if from a jar) or 2 cloves diced fresh garlic
Place water and peas in a pot to boil – let it do it’s thing for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Then remove from heat, dump peas into a strainer, rinse off well (removing the weird bean flavor and only keeping the good bean flavor and removing the stuff that gives you gas) then replace in the pot and add water, leaving an extra inch or two over the top of the peas. Place in hamhocks and simmer on medium heat for 2 hours.
Dice up the onion, place in pot, add in sage and garlic, salt and pepper, then lower the heat to medium/low. Take out the hamhocks and cut them up, removing the meat from the bones/skin/fat, dice then place the meat in the pot. Now add in the greens, give them about 20 min, and then serve up. (I’m sure cornbread would be wonderful with this, but we had chips with homemade spinach dip, which I’ll have to post the recipe for later LOL)
This is now part of my Monthly Menu, which you can find Here